Yesterday was Thanksgiving, and I want to talk about all that I’m grateful for as a transgender woman to have the opportunity to undergo gender reassignment surgery. I don’t usually speak about my personal life, but I wanted to share this unique experience with you. Enjoy!
This episode airs live Friday November 27th, 2015 at 6–8pm on KBBF 89.1 FM, replayed on Tuesday night on KBBF 89.1 FM, replayed on Wednesday night at 6–8pm on KWTF 88.1 FM, and live on YouTube here.
I usually don’t do this, but I wanted to make this episode a little bit more personal for Thanksgiving. Yesterday, I had the chance to celebrate with my family how grateful I am for all the wonderful changes not only in my own life, but also for the LGBT community as a whole. It’s been a long journey for me, understanding my own growth and journey as a transgender woman and a human being on planet earth. This subject is very personal for me, because it has to do with a body part I have spent a lifetime trying to understand my relationship with: my penis.
Every transgender woman has a different relationship with her penis, some transgender women experience what’s called “Gender Dysphoria,” which means that they don’t feel aligned with their body or genitals. For as long as I can remember, I’ve experienced gender dysphoria and spent a lifetime hating my penis. It hasn’t been until this last year waiting for my surgery where I’ve finally learned to love the body part that I was born with.
Does that mean that I’ll cancel my surgery? No it doesn’t, because I think it’s important for me to learn to love that part of my body just as I’m about to change it into something else. It’s important because my penis will be giving me a great gift, it will be giving me the vagina I’ve longed for my entire life. I celebrate the gift I am about to receive, because it will be something that I’ve worked very hard for.
On December 23rd 2015 I will be undergoing Gender Reassignment Surgery with Dr. Meltzer.
Since I am not a writer, please listen to this episode to learn more!
If you would like to donate to my surgery fund please click here:
Thanks for listening!
Host of The Queer Life Radio Show
LGBT News Hour
- Revolutionary new surgery could allow trans women to carry children – Oliver Wheaton for Metro.co.uk
- Facebook will now allow same-sex employees paid ‘baby leave’ – by Michelle O’Toole, pinknews.co.uk
- Obama praised for screening trans films in the White House – by Olivier Douliery, pinknews.co.uk
- ‘Loose Women’ Comes Under Fire After Transgender Discussion – by Amy Walker, planettransgender.com
- Gay Ugandan Activist Urges Pope: ‘Talk About Acceptance’ – by Daniel Reynolds, advocate.com
- Uganda passes terrifying new law that could be used to shut down all pro-gay charities – by Nick Duffy, pinknews.co.uk
- Watch: One of these 14 people would kill their child if they were gay – by Michelle O’Toole, pinknews.co.uk
- Liberal Democrat leader: ‘Gay blood ban outdated and stigmatising’ – by Michelle O’Toole, pinknews.co.uk
Check Us Out on Social Media
- Like us on Facebook
- Tweet us @thequeerlife
- Subscribe to us on YouTube
- Subscribe to us on iTunes
- Subscribe to us on Stitcher