This week on The Queer Life radio show Kaiya Kramer interviews Naomi Metz who is the principal attorney of the Law Office of Naomi E. Metz who has a special focus on the unique and still often complex needs of the LGBT community.
This episode airs live Friday October 9th, 2015 at 6–8pm on KBBF 89.1 FM, replayed on Tuesday night on KBBF 89.1 FM, replayed on Wednesday night at 6–8pm on KWTF 88.1 FM, and live on YouTube here.
LGBT Attorney Naomi Metz
About Naomi Metz:
Naomi Metz is the owner and principal attorney of the Law Office of Naomi E. Metz, a boutique firm providing a full range of estate planning, trust administration, probate, and beneficiary representation services, with a special focus on the unique and still often complex needs of the LGBT community. While at UC Berkeley School of Law, Naomi focused her studies on laws related to the recognition and protection of LGBT families and their financial assets. Naomi’s thesis examined the practical impact of SB 1827, a 2006 law requiring California Registered Domestic Partners to file their California income tax returns jointly. She also completed an externship at the National Center for Lesbian Rights, was a research assistant on a project examining the impact of the federal “ministerial exception” on LGBT employment opportunities, and worked as a law clerk for an estate planning firm with a strong focus on LGBT clients.
Naomi often leads educational seminars for other professionals and the LGBT community on estate planning, tax, and property issues for LGBT families, as well as issues of “cultural competency” for professionals working with LGBT clients. She co-founded and facilitates a study group for attorneys and tax professionals that examines the complex interaction between California and federal tax and property laws with a focus on the particular issues faced by our LGBT clients.
Naomi is on the Board of Directors of the National LGBTQ Task Force Foundation, where she is chair of the Resource Development Committee, and is a founding member and the co-chair of the Sonoma County LGBTQI Giving Circle. She is an adjunct professor at Empire College of Law, where she has taught classes on LGBT issues in the law. She is a member of the Sonoma County Bar Association, the LGBT Law Section of the Sonoma County Bar Association, the Redwood Empire Estate Planning Council, the California Bar Association, and the National LGBT Bar Association.
Naomi lives in Santa Rosa with her wife, Jennifer, their dog, Molly, and their cat, Kitten.
National LGBTQ Task Force
Sonoma County LGBTQ Giving Circle
Contact: J Mullineaux, VP for Philanthropic Planning
Community Foundation Sonoma County
Thanks for listening!
Host of The Queer Life Radio Show
LGBT News & Current Events Discussed
- 10 Common Things Well-Intentioned Allies Do That Are Actually Counterproductive – by Cody Charles, everydayfeminism.com
- Joe Biden declares support for trans people joining military (VIDEO) – by Joe Williams, pinknews.co.uk
- Dallas Man set to be given probation for the confessed murder of Trans woman Janette Tovar – by Kelli Busey, planettransgender.com
- 19 Things No Woman Should Have To Apologize For – by Emma Gray, huffingtonpost.com
- Stephen Hawking: ‘The real risk with AI isn’t malice but competence’ – by Devindra Hardawar, engadget.com
- Anti-gay bakery refuses to pay damages despite getting $400,000 in donations – by Nick Wells, pinknews.co.uk
Check Us Out on Social Media
- Like us on Facebook
- Tweet us @thequeerlife
- Subscribe to us on YouTube
- Subscribe to us on iTunes
- Subscribe to us on Stitcher