This episode airs live Friday June 5th, 2015 at 6–8pm on KBBF 89.1 FM, replayed on Tuesday night on KBBF 89.1 FM, replayed on Wednesday night at 6–8pm on KWTF 88.1 FM, and live on YouTube here:
Caitlyn Jenner News and Interview with Shanna Butler
This week on The Queer Life radio show Kaiya Kramer interviews Shanna Butler psychotherapist and psychological assistant in Sebastopol. Here is Shanna’s bio:
Shanna Butler is a Jungian and somatic inspired psychotherapist and psychological assistant with a private practice in Sebastopol, CA. Shanna has been practicing clinically since 2006 with her Master of Social Work degree and in 2011 returned to the world of academia to pursue a doctoral degree in clinical psychology with an emphasis in depth psychology through Pacifica Graduate Institute. Specializations include broadly LGBTQ populations, specifically supporting trans or genderqueer folks and their loved ones, creative and spiritual struggles, relational issues, trauma, and addictions. Along with her private practice Shanna also works at the Lomi Psychotherapy Clinic in Santa Rosa, which is a unique clinic dedicated to affordable mental health services for all people and specializes in both depth and somatic approaches. In addition to practicing therapy Shanna spends her time deep in the realms of research for her doctoral dissertation, whose subject matter pertains to the archetypal nature of gender and gender fluidity and the intersections of culture. Shanna is also an occasional lecturer in a psychology graduate program at John F. Kennedy University in the east bay.
Beyond professional roles Shanna spends as many moments outdoors as possible finding the beaches, rivers and forests to be a places of sacred rejuvenation. Shanna is an avid lover of the tarot, herbal medicine making, creative projects, baking, and reading anything and everything she can get her hands on. Shanna loves her family and friends with fierce abandon and is incredibly grateful for the community of which she is a part. Shanna has a firm belief that she lives with the cutest dog in the world, and she has the pictures to prove it.
Shanna is currently co-facilitating a Queer Therapy Group along with Kris Spangler, MFT. Group will resume June 24th and we are accepting new members! Please contact Shanna 707.634.7793 or Kris 707.829.8293 for further information.
If you would like to be in touch with Shanna you can contact her at:
Caitlyn Jenner News
I’ll also cover all manner of events concerning Caitlyn Jenner from the trans perspective and help you, the audience, understand what the significance of her coming out as transgender means for mainstream culture and societal understanding. While it may be considered public sensationalism in one respect, the other side is that it provides a brief understanding of one trans person in the major spot light, and Caitlyn’s story certainly will open up pathways for other trans stories to be heard.
Thanks for listening!
Host of The Queer Life Radio Show
- Let Transgender Troops Serve Openly – by THE EDITORIAL BOARD, nytimes.com
- “Sense8″ premieres next week with a lead trans lesbian character – by Trish Bendix, afterellen.com
- What Would Europe Look Like If All The Ice On Earth Melted? – by Morenike Adebayo, iflscience.com
- Reminder: ‘Family Guy’ Predicted Caitlyn Jenner Was A Woman In 2009 – by Stacey Ritzen, uproxx.com
- Caitlyn Jenner on the Cover of Vanity Fair – by Vanity Fair, vanityfair.com
- President Obama honors June as National LGBT Pride Month, mentions “gender non-conforming” individuals for first time – by GayRVA Staff, gayrva.com
- Mike Huckabee: I wish I could have claimed to be transgender to ‘shower with the girls’ in high school – by Colin Campbell, businessinsider.com
Check Us Out on Social Media
- Like us on Facebook
- Tweet us @thequeerlife
- Subscribe to us on YouTube
- Subscribe to us on iTunes