This episode airs live Friday April 17th, 2015 at 6–8pm on KBBF 89.1 FM, replayed on Tuesday night on KBBF 89.1 FM, replayed on Wednesday night at 6–8pm on KWTF 88.1 FM, and live on YouTube here:
-Google Hangouts on Air offline, will post audio on Podcast-
This week on The Queer Life radio show Kaiya Kramer interviews Claire-Renee Kohner [who] does freelance writing from her home in suburban Minneapolis, Minnesota. Here is her bio:
Claire-Renee Kohner is a woman who is transgender and does freelance writing from her home in suburban Minneapolis, Minnesota. She has written for Original Plumbing, TheAdvocate, Bustle, PlanetTransgender, TransgenTimes and TheColu.mn covering transgender issues as well as the transgender and queer music and movie scene both locally and nationally.
Claire-Renee identifies as pansexual, uses female pronouns exclusively and has been married to the same woman for 16 years. She came out to her family in January 2014 and has been transitioning for exactly a year this April 12th. She has three children ages 8,10,15
Writing Credits Include
- Interviewed Michelle Hendley from the movie Boy Meets Girl, a trans rom-com starring a transgender female lead character played by a transgender woman.
- Interviewed Eric Schaefer, Director of Boy Meets Girl and is currently working on getting the BMG movie shown in Minneapolis
- Interviewed selfie king Michael Hughes who changed the bathroom bill debate from a trans male point of view
- Interview Actress Alexandra Turshen [Thai Sanity, Body and the Amazon Series Red Oaks] Alexandra “came out” through Claire-Renee exclusively.
- Interview with trans glam rock musician Venus DeMars
- Interview with queer music producer Barb Morrisson
- Interview with Kristen Beck
- Interview with Cathy Brennan
- Interview with Director Dominick Evans
- Interview with trans drummer Jendeen Forberg
Currently working on
- “Panic Defense” Bill in the Minnesota Legislature: Claire-Renee wrote the bill [that has not yet been introduced] on trans and gay panic defense. Mirrored from the California bill, Claire-Renee’s bill has 4 Representatives and 1 Senator signed on.
- “Respect After Death” Bill will be introduced to key legislators in Minnesota in 2016. This bill will allow people to have their birth certificates represent their preferred gender.
- Works closely with OutfrontMN’s Communications department in coordinating language used in the local transgender community.
Thanks for listening!
Host of The Queer Life Radio Show
- Written by Claire Kohner recently
- Actress Alexandra Turshen Defies Labels (But She’s One of Us) – Actress Alexandra Turshen came out as “not straight” through me on the Advocate
- What’s Next for Selfie King Michael Hughes? – Follow up piece on what Transman Michael Hughes is planning on Original Plumbing
- Venus DeMars’ New Release Due in April | Planet Transgender – Album Review and chat with Trans Glam Rocker Venus DeMars on PlanetTransgender
- Planet Transgender Reaches into the Terrestrial Radio Sphere | Planet Transgender – About The Queer Life interview with Kelli Busey by Kaiya Kramer
- Claire Kohner is currently writing
- Bustle: Online Dating: I joined various dating websites with two profiles, one as the woman I am today and one pre transition. Identical profiles except the picture and gender marker.
- Original Plumbing: Interviews with trans male rapper Lil One and an interview with Trans male Director Dominick Evans.
- PlanetTransgender: Interview with US Navy Seal Kristen Beck
- TheAdvocate: Exclusive interview with transgender actress Michelle Hendley [Boy Meets Girl fame] and her new role on the NBC Series ‘Endgame’
- Anti-Gay Christian Auto Repair Shop Makes Itself A Target For Equality Activists, Has No Business License – David Badash, thenewcivilrightsmovement.com
- Neo-Nazi who gunned down his gay boss shows no remorse in hateful jailhouse interview – David Ferguson, rawstory.com
- Nike Women’s New Ad Campaign Is Full Of ‘I Can’t’ – Leigh Weingus, huffingtonpost.com
- CNN reporter corners Rand Paul on gay rights: You believe in freedom ‘but not when it comes to marriage’ – David Edwards, rawstory.com
- Justice Department sides with transgender inmate in Georgia lawsuit – David Ingram, reuters.com
- Statistics Show Exactly How Many Times Trans People Have Attacked You in Bathrooms – Marcie Bianco, mic.com
- Jaden Smith Is Currently All About Wearing Dresses And Buying ‘Girl’ Clothes – Andrew Roberts, uproxx.com
- The silence on abuse of transgender inmates in US prisons is deafening – Elton John and Michael Stipe, theguardian.com
- Op-ed: The Problem With Schlumpy Men Playing Trans Women – Riki Wilchins, advocate.com
- Bathroom Selfies and the Messy Politics of Passing – Michael Cade Hughes, huffingtonpost.com
- Nevada transgender bill passes committee – TREVON MILLIARD, rgj.com
Check Us Out on Social Media
- Like us on Facebook
- Tweet us @thequeerlife
- Subscribe to us on YouTube
- Subscribe to us on iTunes