In this episode of The Queer Life radio show, Kaiya Kramer interviews Professor Abby Bogomolny who will be teaching fall 2017 English 36 LGBT Arts & Literature Course at Santa Rosa Junior College, SRJC.
This show aired live at 6 pm Pacific on Friday June 30th, 2017
English 36 LGBT Arts & Literature Course
If you’d like to read about and discuss gender identity, gender expression and desire, this class is for you. We’ll read works and view films by and about significant LGBTQ writers and artists’ works through the decades. Join this fascinating and supportive class in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- Reading, discussion and writing about significant LGBT writers and artists and their works from antiquity to present. The course uses both a thematic and historical approach to the literature and arts including the study of poetry, short stories, novels, plays, cinema, music, biographies, coded texts, and political essays.
- Instructor: Abby Bogomolny
- Mondays, 6-9 pm, SR Campus, meets Aug. 21- Dec. 11SRJC Chancellor and President Frank Chong’s blog about LGBTQ Pride Month.
Fully UC/CSU transferable
Pre-req.: Engl 1A
Registration for Fall ’17 begins this monthIf you’d like to read about and discuss gender identity, gender expression and desire, this class is for you. We’ll read works and view films by and about significant LGBTQ writers and artists’ works through the decades. Please join me this fascinating and supportive class, taught in an atmosphere of mutual respect.Reading list:
- Giovanni’s Room: James Baldwin
- Fun Home: Alison Bechdel
- Rubyfruit Jungle: Rita Mae Brown
- Finding Out: An Intro to LGBT Studies
- Poetry and prose by Judy Grahn, Adrienne Rich, Allen Ginsberg, Gloria Anzaldua,
- Francisco Alarcon and more.
- Film List:
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (We see multiple film versions of this drama.): Tennessee Williams
- The Children’s Hour: Lillian Hellman
- She’s a Boy I Knew: Gwen Haworth
- Torch Song Trilogy: Harvey Fierstein
- Tongues Untied: Marlon Riggs
- FMI contact me abogomolny@santarosa.
LGBT News and Perspectives
- Texas Supreme Court Opens Door to Invalidating Same-Sex Marriages – By Neal Broverman, www.advocate.com
- It Looks Like the Trump Administration Has Abandoned the White House Council on Women and Girls – By Stassa Edwards, theslot.jezebel.com
- Former Homophobes Issue Heartfelt Apologies in London Pride Ads – By Dennis Hinzmann, www.out.com
- Twitter freaks out after straight actor says his gay character “acts straight and acts normal” – By Derek de Koff
- Gloria Carter, Blue Ivy’s Grandma, Comes Out As a Lesbian on Jay Z’s “4:44” – By Alaina, www.autostraddle.com
Thanks for listening!
Host of The Queer Life Radio Show
Check Us Out on Social Media
- Like us on Facebook
- Tweet us @thequeerlife
- Subscribe to us on YouTube
- Subscribe to us on iTunes
- Subscribe to us on Stitcher